An all time favorite meal of mine. My boyfriend actually deserves (most of) the credit for this one. Works best if you have a partner to tackle these so one can attend to the rice papers and the other can assemble and roll.
2 Cups Broccoli Slaw
1 Cup Matchstick Carrots
2 Cups Chicken (shredded)
2 Medium Red Peppers (thinly julienned)
12-15 Rice Papers (Asian section at grocery store)
1. Fill a bowl (large enough for the rice papers to lay flat in) with lukewarm water. Place 1 rice paper into water for 30-45 seconds or until rice paper becomes slightly sticky.
2. Pull rice paper from water and carefully lay flat onto a paper towel. Flip rice paper onto a cutting board and peel paper towel from rice paper.
3. Towards the top, assemble a small amount of each ingredient into an approx. 1 inch wide strip across the rice paper.
4. Fold in the sides and top then gently (but tightly) roll the rice paper around the chicken and vegetables.
5. Serve immediately or place in refrigerator for a few hours to reduce sticky-ness of spring roll exterior.
Leftover spring rolls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (mmm...lunch break?!) so go ahead and make some extras.
Serving suggestions: I cut them into cute sushi-like pieces, my boyfriend likes them cut once right down the center, either way, enjoy plain or dipped in sweet chili and/or Thai peanut sauce.
Don't let the rice papers intimidate you. They sound (and have a reputation) for being a pain but after 1 or 2 tries, you'll quickly get the hang of it!