A fabulous harvest-season side dish to complement nearly any meal. Ask around, people who grew squash this year are likely looking to share.
Lightly seasoned so you can enjoy the true taste of fresh squash!
1 butternut squash
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. black pepper
6 tsp. brown sugar
1. Clean surface of squash and cut in half lengthwise.
2. Remove and discard seeds.
squash halves with olive oil.
4. In a small bowl, combine the salt, cinnamon,
nutmeg and pepper; sprinkle over squash halves.
5. Place 2 teaspoons brown
sugar into each half. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over cut sides of
6. Place in an 11x7 glass baking dish coated
with cooking spray.
7. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
8. Allow squash to cool for 10-15 minutes (or until cool enough to handle).
9. Scrape squash from outer shell into medium bowl and mash. Serve immediately or refrigerate and heat in microwave before serving.
If the baked squash isn't mashing very easily with a fork, use a hand-held mixer or stand-up mixer if you're awesome and have one.