Whether it's a chilly fall evening or game day, a big bowl of chili always hits the spot. Using ground turkey and flavor packed spices will reduced the fat content and increase the comfort of this crave-able dish. And the best part, whether you think so or not, I'm willing to bet most of you already have every one of these spices in your spice cabinet!
1 tsp. olive oil
1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey (93/7 fat content)
2 Tbsp. onion (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp. garlic (minced)
1 medium green pepper
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups tomatoes (diced)
2 Tbsp. ketchup
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (increase to 1/2 tsp. if you like spicy!)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 can (16 oz.) pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
2. Drain and rinse turkey. Return turkey to pot and add onion, garlic green pepper and water. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, ketchup, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Garnish with dried parsley flakes and enjoy with a couple crackers. Skip the sour cream and cheese...this chili can stand alone!
Great leftover and freezes well.